Get a load of this!
This morning at around 7:50am the entire Wentworth Building a Sydney University was evacuated by the sounding of the fire alarm. The electronically recorded “Evacuate as Directed” boomed throughout the building’s PA system. Unfortunately no one was actually going around directing people, and I don’t blame them – it was tooo bloody early for a fire drill! There was probably 25 people max in the entire building. After some initial hesitation the 4 of us (who were just trying to enjoy our coffee!) eventually walked outside to freeze in the morning cold. It should now be noted that it is not the first time this has happened. Wanna know why?? It wasn’t a drill. The Asian food shop downstairs start cooking really early in the morning and conveniently forget to turn on their vents meaning that the fumes/smoke gets picked up by the detectors. The friendly Kebab shop people weren’t impressed (they were the ones that told us the reason). All I could do was chuckle.
And I continued to chuckle, until about 10:40am when I was sitting peacefully in the library – finally getting some work done when, yes, you guessed it, the fire alarms sounded. ARGH! Now it was just getting ridiculous! There have been more alarms in Wentworth and Fisher Library than the Chemistry building! At least this time someone came around and directed us out. I feel sorry for the firemen, second time they were called to USYD within 2 hours to inspect a perfectly good building with no fire. Well, I guess they were notified before the library’s drill, I hope.
In Other News, check out this old post and the new comment I got on it. Scroll down to the bottom of the page 🙂 I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t like being called someone who lacks knowledge and wisdom.